Happy New Year! It’s 2016. A year of many changes for me. Honeymoon, finishing school, finding a job…and much more.
I spend a lot of time, perhaps too much time, thinking about how the past 2 years, since becoming an RCMP wife, have been the hardest in my life. I’ve went through depressions, panic attacks, being diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, missing my friends and family and plenty more struggles.
I will not lie, I spent the first couple days of 2016 kind of feeling sorry for myself – I have been going through a “fibro flare” – perhaps that is why. I go through a cycle of feeling bad and then being angry. Angry that I’m constantly feeling this way back and forth.
Even though I am struggling, I’ve made the decision that this is not the way I want to start my year. I find that a lot of times forcing myself to think differently actually works. So I have made a month long list of “Mentally Healthy Challenges” for myself to start off the new year.
I share this list in case there are others out there interested in doing the same. So much of mental illness can be fought with changing our thoughts.
(I start on January 5th, as my self pity took up the first 4 days lol)
- 5th - Look at myself in the mirror 3 times today and say “I am beautiful.”
- 6th - Have “worry time” – spend time worrying for only 20 minutes, and concentrate on worrying zero for the rest of the day
- 7th – Meditate for 1 hour
- 8th – Spend an afternoon writing
- 9th – Write down 10 things I love about myself physically
- 10th – Write down 10 things I love about my personality
- 11th – Write a letter to someone I admire and look up to
- 12th – Do yoga for 1 hour
- 13th – Write down quotes that inspire me and display them
- 14th – Create a cookbook of all my favorite healthy recipes
- 15th – Create a fitness schedule
- 16th – Color for 1 hour in an adult coloring book
- 17th – Write down 5 positive memories from the last year
- 18th – Write down 5 goals for this year
- 19th – Do something I’ve never done
- 20th – Exercise outside
- 21st – Write down 10 things I’m grateful for
- 22nd – Do something that makes me smile
- 23rd – Practice deep breathing
- 24th – Read a book for 1 hour
- 25th – Journal for a ½ hour
- 26th – Buy myself flowers
- 27th – Go to bed 1 hour earlier
- 28th – Listen to a motivational audiobook
- 29th – Clean the house while dancing (honestly one of my favorite things to do)
- 30th – Spend the afternoon without any technology
- 31st – Take a bubble bath
So there it is - my list in full. I'm looking forward to this challenge :)